Sunday, June 10, 2007

Dreamin' large

I was reading through my bloglines this morning when I came across this post that intrigued me. Over the years, I have given my dream home lots of thought. Mostly when I buy a losing lottery ticket and am waiting not-so-hopefully for the actual drawing.

For the most part I don't want anything too extravagent (unless we win the lottery - then all bets are off). Honestly, I would rather live in a smaller house and be able to do more things then be saddled with a mortgage that strangles us. That, and I am not keen on cleaning. Give me one or two extra rooms - these can be converted attic space or a finished basement - as long as it is clean and dry - I'm good.

But my ideal crafting room is pretty clear in my mind. It would be sunny and well lit with full spectrum lighting. Yarn and fabrics would be displayed beautifully in cubbies and shelves along a wall. In plastic to keep them clean, of course.

I would definately need both a sewing machine and a serger. The work space for sewing would also have a table with a permanently mounted self-healing cutting mat.

This would also be where I would have my spinning wheel and drum carder. Yes I know I don't spin yet, but I've tried it a couple of times and I enjoy it so much. It is another of the things that my hands just seem to know how to do. It just makes so much sense to me. Of course, I haven't done much and the fates will smack me for sounding cocky.



I haven't been knitting much for myself, but have been whipping out the washcloths and felted hats. My goal is to have have about 30 hats for the fair and at least that many washcloths and handbags. Right now I am currently at about 25 washcloths and 7 hats. I've also have an inventory of about 15 bags. It doesn't sound like much, but it is quite time consuming to get all of them made.

Not much progress has been made on Sizzle, but I am feeling the need to get working on it. I really want to get it done before the end of the month so that I can wear it during the summer.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Hmmm, I like to dream about my dream crafting room- it would be a lot like yours, but very large, like an open family room, so there could be a large table for my children to gather and craft too. We like stamping together and making cards. They are all little budding artists... my 3 oldest knit already, so they would sit and knit with me, and one day learn to spin. And my girls will love to sew and quilt some day... so we need space- maybe we just need a craft house- wait I think that's what's happening here...
I hope your fall craft fair is a success, sounds like you're getting a lot done for it!
Happy knitting,
ali

Karen said...

Your dream crafting room sounds perfect - it's just about what I'd want mine to be!! Except maybe I'd need a beading area and a paper craft area too. Wow, that would be on big room!!

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on the small dream house thing. Not as much to clean, plus you can do nicer things with the space you do have. And maybe even have a little money left over!

Good luck in the lottery! :)