Splitting for the neckline went fine. At first I knit the left leaning decrease on the purl side so that it would line up evenly with the K2tog on the other side of the opening. Doing a SSP was a pain and after just a few, I decided that if it was one row off from the other side, NO ONE but me would notice. Once that was settled, the next
Having converted several patterns from the flat to the round, one might believe that I would remember the basics of how to do this.
One would be mistaken.
The first attempt resulted in an uneven number of stitched being bound off on each side of the back. Again, previous experience should enable me to do this in a less painful procession of events. Why, oh why can't I remember that it is the number of loops lifted over the stitches that need to be counted, not the number of stitches knit?
After much fiddling, all of the stitches were back on the needles and the markers were back where they belonged. I was on to my second attempt.
To ensure that I knit both the fronts and the back to the exact same length, I reasoned that knitting them at the same time would be the best way to go. The arm sycthes for the fronts were done and the stitch count appeared to be correct. Whew.
I counted the stitches in the back. Hmm. 66 stitches. After referring to the pattern, I was quite dismayed to discover that I was supposed to have 68 stitches.
After putting all of the ^#$*ing stitches back on the (^$&^%ing needles, I took a deep breath and counted. Again.
Damn. 70 stitches. The farking stitch count had been correct and ripping them out was just an exercise of my rapidly diminishing patience.
Stop over and see LaVerna and her contest. I haven't a clue as to what the answer really is, but maybe you will!