Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Off the needles

I am a lazy slub and have started writing this long before Twist is done because I know that once it is, I will write up a completely half a$$ed entry in my rush to post SOMETHING... Knitter, know thyself.

Twist - this is my own design, inspired, in part, by Wendy's Sizzle, but making it work for my numbers.

It is knit with an absurd amount of negative ease creating a very snug vest. In retrospect, I should have gone up one more needle size, but live and learn. My waist is fairly narrow and I didn't want to mess around with shaping which is why there is so much negative ease. I blocked it pretty severely so that it wouldn't constrict my breathing.

Yarn - Rowan Magpie in the Mexico colorway. Sadly discontinued. I used approximately 3-1/2 skeins. I could have added sleeves to make it a sweater, but I am way too lazy and have wanted a vest for a while.

The yarn bloomed nicely once I washed it. Losing any trace of scratchiness. I was able to block some extra length into it as well.




The pattern is simple: K1, P1, K4, P1, K1 for the right side rows. Wrong side rows, knit 'em as you see 'em. C4 front on the 6th row. I did a total of 160 stitches (I think) and have a 34" bust (I know this for sure). Each repeat is ~1" both vertically and horizontally.

I split for the neck at 13" or so and started the armscye shaping 1 inch later. Both the V and the armscyes are deep. The V for that oh so sexy office-wear look and the armholes to accommodate a shirt underneath so I don't itch myself to death or give anyone an eyeful of the girls. I wish I had split earlier so that the V was even deeper.

The ribbing is a K2P1, nothing fancy. I tried a couple of other options but wasn't pleased with the results. It took about 3 tries to pick up the right number of stitches for the neckline. Because I slipped the first stitch of every row, I was left with holes when I picked up just one stitch in each of the slipped ones. I ended up picking up one in each of the slipped stitches and then finagling to pick up one in between each slipped stitch. It came out to 3 stitches for every 4 rows and it is good enough.


Overall, I am pretty happy with how it came out. Not to bad for designing on the fly.



7 comments:

Jenn said...

Looks great!

Karen said...

Wow, it's beautiful. I think you did a wonderful job!!

LaVerna said...

Gorgeous!Love that orange.

Knittymama said...

Oh man, I love, love, love that vest!!

Brenda said...

Wonderful vest! The fit looks perfect. Congratulations!

trek said...

Blogger will provide your email address when you comment if you go into your Dashboard the choose Edit User Profile. In there, pick Show My Email Address.

Desiknitter said...

Came here from the ravelry vest thread. Looks very good, fits you very well!