Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I am outraged

If you are looking for knitting content (and why wouldn't you be, after all it is a knitting blog) you will need to look elsewhere. Today all you get is indignation and outrage.

Last night was knit night at Starbucks and Eric is finally on a rotation that allows me to go again, YEA! So, I was enjoying a raucous evening with my friends and catching up on all of the local news. BTW, I found out that the 80-something year old owner of my LYS has a boy-toy. Go Shirley.

At around 8 pm, a gentleman (this term is used extremely loosely) carrying a large stack of file folders came in and sat down near our area. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue at all. It is a public space after all. He then started making phone calls. Again, not what I would do, but not a huge issue.

Then we heard what he was saying. "Arthur, this is Dr. X calling with your test results. It is what I thought, the x-ray shows that you have arthritis in your back." I was horrified. He proceeded to call several patients with lab results and then did dictation. I could not believe what I was hearing.

More than one time, he got up, presumably to use the restroom or refill his drink, and left the charts unattended.

The worst part is this is not the first time it has happened, it is just the first time I witnessed it first-hand. While I did not catch his name clearly and was not ballsy enough to ask him outright, I did get the plate number off the vehicle he was driving.

Today I called the state to see how I should proceed with filing a complaint of some kind as this is a clear violation of HIPAA.

I cannot imagine what would allow this man to think that his behavior was acceptable.

No comments: