Saturday, September 29, 2007

Home again

I know, I know, I'm very tardy in getting this post up. It seems that Madame Fortune needed to toy a bit with the residents here at chez Wool. Camping was better than expected, but I will be leaving the details and photos for another post. (Really, given my previous camping experiences with Eric, this trip HAD to be better. My expectations were really quite low so as not to be disappointed when things went to hell in a hand basket.)

On Monday of this week, my car stopped working for the 3rd time in less than 3 months. As we just had the starter replaced we took it back to the shop that did the work but they were unable to find a problem. See, the car decided to start for them. Apparently, it has a grudge against me.

When we picked up the car from the shop, we took it to the Nissan dealership down the street and they were unable to figure it out and basically said that it appears to be an intermittent short in the electrical system. Which we take to mean that this car will suck the lifeblood from us if we try to find the problem with a skilled mechanic.

Seeing as how Eric's vacation month is up and he starts back on a full rotation complete with long hours and shitty commutes, I must have a vehicle that I can depend on. So, today we are heading out to test drive cars.

We went round and round on this: do we buy a used vehicle, a new, do we lease? In the end, we've decided to purchase a bare bones car (Hyundai or KIA most likely) so that we get the full manufacturer's warranty. By the time that the main warranties will be over, Eric will be just about done with residency so we could afford another car payment. Here's hoping that we can limp his POS along until residency though because there is no way we can afford 2 car payments on my salary.

No comments: