Today, I finished off the batch of apple butter that I started yesterday. I had spent entirely too much time surfing the net looking for recipes and ended up not following any of them. First, I don't understand the need to add extra liquid in the form of apple cider (which I misread as apple cider vinegar about 83 times before I got it right), just to spend additional time simmering.
Nor did I bother to use multiple varieties of apples. I suppose I could have, because my folks have a couple of different trees. All but one of them are a pain to get at, so I only used the one. I am way too cheap to buy apples for this.
I had 4.5 quarts of unsweetened applesauce when I began, to which I added roughly two cups of brown sugar and some cinnamon. Overall, I am pretty happy with the results; however, it is sweeter than I expected. Next time, I will try an applesauce to sweetener ratio of 8:1.
I ended up with an even dozen 4 oz jars and four 8 oz jars. I cannot wait until I can try the stuff out! I think it would be phenomenal over vanilla bean ice cream!