Monday, May 07, 2007

What a wild ride

As always, I am continually surprised at how busy I am. It seems that no matter how I try to shed the extra responsibilities, they always seem to latch on, like leeches or barnacles. Take your pick.

We went up to my hometown 2 weekends ago for my cousins wedding. I was so worried about it at first. Not the travel, but just the fact that he was getting married. He was always so babied and immature. I was so happy to see that he has grown up nicely in the last year. Not only has he gotten so handsome, but he has really grown up, after talking to him, I really think that he is ready for this. (I know that you can't tell from this picture, but they are a really cute couple.)




While we were there, my family and I also celebrated my birthday which is coming up later this month. My sister rocked and got me this absolutely fabu gift. I'm tempted to go back and get this for myself.


The yarn feels very nice. I don't know if it is superwash or not, but it is 100% wool (so, really, how can it be bad?). I actually like the olive drab color.

The needles are a bright orangey-red plastic and the kit come complete with plastic darning needle and directions for a man's sock. I have other plans for this though.




While at my parent's I was able to sell 3 more bags to the shop that had bought some previously. I am ecstatic that I won't have to wait until November to recoup the money I've put into this.

Over the last several months, one of the area Hancock Fabric's has been going out of business. A few weeks ago it closed its doors permanently, but not before I scored the haul of a lifetime.

I had been watching prices carefully and purchasing as fabrics fell below my threshold. I was able to get some very cute, high-quality fabric this way. However, the final weekend was a complete lark for us. On the last Saturday that the store was open, the prices had dropped to 80% off retail. At this point, you had to purchase the entire bolt or roll, but for that price... Heck yeah. That day, we walked out of the store with 5 rolls of decorator fabric and with our wallet $45 lighter.

Not realizing that it was the last day it was opened, we decided to head back to the store on Sunday to see if they would be willing to bargain on any of the remaining items. When we walked in, they announced that they were closing in an hour and that the decorator fabric (which I use for the bags) were 50 cents a yard. We went all out and spend another $45 that day.

After getting home and assessing the damage, realizing that I don't have any place to store that much fabric, I totaled up the original retail price of what I purchased and discovered that I had bought near $1950 worth of fabric and spent under $100.

2 comments:

Shan said...

That is freakin' AWESOME. I can't believe the deals you scored on the fabric.

And I'm totally excited about the Red Cross kit - Our Boys Need Sox!! I saw that kit ages ago and was dying to get it, even if just for the tin. (I'm a sucker for vintage.) Can't wait to see what you make with the drab.

Karen said...

What a great score on all the fabric! Good for you. The sock kit is so cool. Happy early birthday. Mine is later this month too!! May birthdays are the greatest!!